TWN Stewardship Work in the Territory
The Tsleil-Waututh Nation has a sacred, legal obligation to protect, defend, and steward the water, land, air, and resources in the territory. The stewardship obligation includes to responsibility to maintain and restore conditions that enable the community to thrive. To meet end, we are engaged in research and stewardship projects on the territory including Indian River Watershed, Indian Arm, Say Nuth Khaw Yum Provincial Park and Burrard Inlet. Here is some of the work we are engaged in:
- Coastal Resource Mapping Limited. 2022. Analysis of Marine Vessel Traffic in Burrard Inlet.
- Doyle, B. and Taft, S. 2023. Summary Report: Tsleil-Waututh Nation Analysis of Marine Vessel Traffic in Burrard Inlet. Based on work conducted by Coastal Resource Mapping Ltd in 2022
- Harris, A., Palmer, K., Wood, J., Tollit, D. 2022 Burrard Inlet Underwater Noise Characterization: 2021 Final Report Prepared for the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority and the Tsleil-Waututh Nation. SMRU Consulting
- Kerr Wood Leidal Associates and Beatty, Scott and Bocking, Bryce (2021) Burrard Inlet Cumulative Effects Monitoring Initiative Central Harbour Wave Climate Study – Summary and Discussion of Findings
- Morin, J., Evans, A.B. & Efford, M. The Rise of Vancouver and the Collapse of Forage Fish: A Story of Urbanization and the Destruction of an Aquatic Ecosystem on the Salish Sea (1885–1920 CE). Hum Ecol 51, 303–322 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10745-023-00398-w
- Morin, J., and Evans, A.B. (2022) Historical Ecology in Burrard Inlet: Summary of Historic, Oral History, Ethnographic, and Traditional Use Information. Fisheries Centre Research Report 30 (2)
- Overview of recent research on cumulative effects in Tsleil-Waututh territory, March 2022
- Rao, A.S. (2022). A review of Burrard Inlet water quality data to understand the impacts of contamination on Tsleil-Waututh Nation’s safe harvesting practices. Tsleil-Waututh Nation Research Report.
- Taft, S., Oldford, G., Lilley, P.L., Oetterich, S.B., Morin, J., George, M., George, M., and Christensen, V. (2022). Reconstructing the pre-contact shoreline of Burrard Inlet (British Columbia, Canada) to quantify cumulative intertidal and subtidal area change from 1792 to 2020. Fisheries Centre Research Report 30(1)